TWO young Wimmera families have been left homeless after two house fires within the past week.
The fires were at Warracknabeal and in Rupanyup district.
Authorities were unable to determine the cause of the Warracknabeal fire on Wednesday.
The Scott Street fire was reported at 3.08pm and the occupants evacuated in time.
Warracknabeal Fire Brigade attended and found the rear of the property ablaze.
Country Fire Authority District 17 operations manager Dale Russell said the fire was not suspicious.
"The fire started at the rear of the premises, but investigators could not come up with a specific cause," he said.
Mr Russell said the fire caused considerable damage to the rear of the property, which was now uninhabitable.
Warracknabeal Acting Sergeant Chris van Buuren said the family had received many offers of help from relatives.
Acting Sgt van Buuren said the parents and their twins, a son and daughter, 9, were staying with family in Warracknabeal.
Escaped embers from a fireplace sparked a house fire between Rupanyup and Minyip on Saturday.
The fire, on Stawell-Warracknabeal Road, was reported at 12.04pm.
An occupant left the property and alerted authorities. Six fire brigades attended. Volunteers used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.
Mr Russell said the house was substantially damaged. He said investigations revealed that sparks from the fireplace being used the night before had escaped through the chimney's brickwork.
Yarriambiack Shire Council recovery manager Gavin Blinman said the young family of three had found temporary accommodation.
Mr Blinman said they received help from Rupanyup community members, council, the Department of Human Services and Red Cross.
He said the family met their insurance company on Wednesday.
"The family only moved to the district in the past three months," he said.
"This is really unfortunate. The family has done a lot of work to make the house nice and they are keen to rebuild and return."