HORSHAM Rural City Council hopes to appoint a contractor for its town hall and art gallery redevelopment on October 21 after proposing project cuts.
Council is considering changes to the exterior brick work, internal finishes, the sound system and carpet to bring the project under its $17 million budget.
Tenders for the project council's most expensive to date exceeded the budget in July.
The two cheapest tenderers submitted revised costings to council on Wednesday.
Council technical services director John Martin said council's tender evaluation panel would review the submissions.
"We are still trying to have the same functional capability for the facility," he said.
"Our consultant team is reviewing the information provided by the contractors to see if the cost saving measures line up with our estimates.
"It will all depend very much on how the contractors' and sub-contractors' estimates go compared with ours."
But concerned Horsham resident Kath Dumesny has written to the Mail-Times with fears the cuts are the latest round of 'happy slashing'.
She said the project had already been cut after pre-tender estimates came in over budget.
"For a tender to now be accepted, I guess the razor gangs have sharpened their blades to use enthusiastically once again," she said.
"Given the cuts that have occurred or indeed are occurring at the moment, I suppose the question is: what has been altered since then or is planned to be altered or left out entirely?
"It begs the question of what we will no longer be getting.
"The final building will be nowhere near as flash as might be remembered when this was first proposed."
Mrs Dumesny urged council to release a list of what would be cut before making an 11th-hour plea to councillors.
"Councillors, this project has limped along for the past four years with little support from the community. Isn't it time to stop the waste of money and resources and finally admit that this project has run its course and should be put on hold for a future time and place?" she said.
Council is negotiating revised deadlines for Federal Government funding, following project delays. The negotiations follow the government granting council a month-long extension from its August deadline to have appointed a contractor and confirmed final costs.
The original $2.5 million funding agreement states that construction must have started by October 18 to receive $1 million.
Kath Dumesny's full letter will appear in Monday's Mail-Times.