FORMER Horsham Saints footballer Rory Taggert has been delisted by the Melbourne Demons.
The 20-year-old has been on the Demons’ list since he was selected with pick 36 in the 2011 AFL draft but did not play a senior game for the club.
He was told by team officials on Tuesday he would not be offered a spot on the list next season.
Taggert said he was shattered by the decision and would have to reassess his his options.
“It’s all a shock at the moment and I guess I need to sit down and weigh-up what I want to do,” he said.
“It’s pretty disappointing, but that’s the industry.”
Taggert said he was frustrated he was not able to make his AFL debut after a stress fracture in his back sidelined him for most of 2012.
He almost broke through for his debut in round 23 this year but was instead named as an emergency. He said he felt he had made good progress in 2013 but wished he had more time to prove himself.
“I wish I had more experience because my first year killed me,” he said.
“I still look at it like I’ve only had the one year in the system and I wish I had been able to experience more, but I guess I’ve learned a lot and it will make me a better person going forward.”
The Demons also delisted rookies James Magner and Nathan Stark on Tuesday.
They join James Sellar, Troy Davis, Tom Gillies, Josh Tynan and rookie Tom Couch, who were delisted soon after the 2013 season.
Aaron Davey, David Rodan and Joel MacDonald have retired, making room for the new Demons recruits including Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Viv Michie and Daniel Cross.
Taggert said he was unsure what his next move would be but was keen for another opportunity to play in the AFL.
“I’d love to think I’d have a chance somewhere else, but being injured for that one year and not being able to crack into Melbourne’s team, I don’t know how good of a chance it’ll give me,” he said.
“If there is any sliver of a chance of it happening I’ll take it, but I need to sit down and work out whether I’ve still got the motivation and everything to keep going forward.”