Stawell house fires: Residents home as house, unit burn

TWO Stawell properties were damaged in separate fires on Tuesday.

Stawell Fire Brigade attended an elderly woman's Mayes Street unit about 4.40pm.

The woman was home at the time.

Country Fire Authority District 16 operations officer Ian Morley said three fire trucks and about 30 fire-fighters attended the one-bedroom brick veneer unit.

He said the fire was controlled within about 30 minutes.

The fire caused about $80,000 damage to the house and contents.

Mr Morley said cooking oil left unattended on the stove caused the fire.

A scented candle caused a house fire in Napier Street earlier in the day.

Mr Morley said the candle had been sitting on a plate in the laundry.

"The plate was on top of a timber board, very close to the washing machine," he said.

"The washing machine went into spin cycle and knocked the candle over, starting the fire."

The fire is believed to have caused about $70,000 of damage.

Stawell Fire Brigade attended the three-bedroom house about 12.45pm.

Two residents, a man and a woman, were home when the fire started.

Mr Morley said the man tried to extinguish the fire with a hose and extinguisher but could not control it.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation and was attended to by Ambulance Victoria paramedics.

Mr Morley said the house's kitchen and laundry were burnt badly, while more of the house was damaged by smoke.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop