Powercor investigates Horsham blackout

POWERCOR is investigating why about 3000 Horsham customers lost power on Saturday.

Powercor spokesman Drew Douglas said power cuts were reported from 1.18pm, although many premises lost electricity about 5.40pm.

Homes and businesses in the city’s west and north-west were impacted.

Power was restored by 7.30pm.

Mr Doulgas said a fault at a power line in Hamilton Road caused the power cut but investigators were still working to determine what caused the fault.

The company’s total fire ban day protocols delayed power restoration as technicians checked for fire hazards.

Police directed traffic in parts of the city including Dimboola Road after traffic lights went out.

Many businesses were also without power.

Horsham’s Victoria Hotel publican John Brennan said the business had been booked out for dinner.

He said several families with young children left in search of a meal after realising kitchen service had been hampered.

“But we didn’t lose too many,” Mr Brennan said.

“People kept coming in and we were still able to pour drinks.”

Horsham west resident Jamie Beavis said he was about to watch Australia come in to bat during the fourth Ashes Test when the television and air conditioner died.

“I missed the cricket,” he said. 

“We went for a run around town to see what was open.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop