Gas leak ruled out as cause of Warracknabeal hospital evacuation

THE Country Fire Authority has ruled out a gas leak after patients were evacuated from Warracknabeal hospital on Monday morning.

Twelve acute care patients and several staff were relocated to the aged care unit after staff detected a suspicious odour at about 10:30am.

Warracknabeal police Constable Charlotte Cole said CFA had investigated the smell and declared the area safe.

"The CFA attended and cleared the scene with no known gas leak," she said.

"The source of the odour was unknown and not believed to be gas related."

Affected patients and staff have returned to the acute care unit.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop