Tom McDonald re-signs with Melbourne Demons

RE-SIGNED: Former Edenhope-Apsley footballer Tom McDonald will stay with AFL club Melbourne until the end of 2016. He is pictured in action for the Demons, competing against North Melbourne's Drew Petrie earlier this year. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

RE-SIGNED: Former Edenhope-Apsley footballer Tom McDonald will stay with AFL club Melbourne until the end of 2016. He is pictured in action for the Demons, competing against North Melbourne's Drew Petrie earlier this year. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

EDENHOPE-APSLEY product Tom McDonald has signed a new two-year deal that will see him remain at AFL club Melbourne until the end of 2016.

The Demons defender, who played his 50th AFL game earlier this season, inked the deal on Thursday.

“We’ve come to an agreement and I’m really excited to be here for another couple of years at least,” he said.

McDonald, 21, was drafted with a third-round selection in 2010 and has established himself as a key component of the Demons’ defence, playing 14 of a possible 15 games this season.

He said the Demons’ current direction was the key reason behind his re-signing.

“There was a lot of negativity around the club and we’d struggled and even though we’re not winning a lot of games this year I can really see the path we’re going on,” he said.

McDonald said he harboured leadership ambitions and hoped to become one of the competition’s premier defenders. 

He said playing finals football was a major focus. 

The Demons will take on Geelong at the MCG on Saturday.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop