FORMER Horsham boxer Mitchell Clark is ready for his second professional fight on Friday night.
Clark, 19, had a successful debut in May after the referee stopped his bout with veteran Marlon Toby in the second round.
He had been scheduled to fight Melbourne’s Bently Shefford in his debut, but Shefford was unable to compete after being knocked out in a previous fight.
Toby stepped in for Shefford in May, but Clark will get a chance to face Shefford in their super middleweight bout at Shoppingtown Hotel in Doncaster, Melbourne.
Shefford has a record of one win and one loss in his two professional bouts.
Clark said he was excited to finally be able to fight Shefford.
“It’s definitely going ahead with him this time,” he said.
“I’m feeling really confident and well-prepared for him, and I’ve been training flat out and doing everything correctly.”
He said he needed to use his smarts to outbox Shefford and get on top early in the fight.
Clark could continue rising through Australia’s boxing ranks with another win.
His debut victory saw him ranked 17th of 51 professional super middleweight boxers in the country in the World Boxing Council standings.
He is ranked 360th out of more than 1000 super middleweight boxers in the world.
Clark lived in the Wimmera as a teenager before relocating to Lucindale.
He now lives in Geelong and trains with Bacchus Marsh’s Danny Kay.
His bout with Shefford starts at 7.30pm on Friday night.