FORMER Horsham man Mitchell Clark stayed undefeated as a professional boxer on Friday night with another impressive performance.
The referee stopped Clark’s bout with opponent Bentley Shefford at Shoppingtown Hotel, Doncaster, during the second round after Clark knocked him to the canvas three times.
In both of his fights as a professional, the 19-year-old Clark has won by technical knockout in the second round.
He attributed his victory to preparation and focus.
“At the start of the fight I was really calm, focused and ready, and I went in confident,” he said.
“In the first round I overpowered him with a lot of really heavy body punches.
“I worked him out pretty quickly with a volume of heavy punches to the body and head.
“I knocked him down in the first round and then dropped him three times in the second, so the referee called the fight off.”
Clark had been due to fight
Shefford in his professional debut, but Shefford was unable to fight after being knocked out in his previous bout.
The result moved Clark higher up the Australian and world super middleweight rankings.
He is now ranked 15th out of 51 professional super middleweight boxers in Australia and 318th in the world, according to website BoxRec.com.
Clark said he wanted to thank his friends and family for their support in his first two professional fights.
He said he expected to have another fight lined up within the next two months, but was not sure who his opponent would be.
Clark lived in the Wimmera as a teenager and now resides in Geelong.
He trains with Bacchus Marsh’s Danny Kay.