Australian man killed in Sweden

An Australian man who was fatally stabbed in Sweden managed to walk several hundred metres along a street before collapsing.

The 30-year-old was found in Odinsplatsen, a public space in the middle of the city of Gothenburg, at 4.50am on Wednesday morning, Swedish time.

He was suffering severe spinal and abdominal injuries and later died in hospital.

Police believe the assault may have taken place in Drottningtorget, closer to Gothenburg's central station, several hundred metres from where the man was found.

Police officers had been in the area for a different matter, Expressen reports, when they found the injured man.

"He was in a very bad condition, basically unconscious," Morten Gunneng from Sweden's West region police told Expressen.

Commissioner Ben Wahlin said there was "absolutely nothing" in the man's background to indicate he would be the victim of such a brutal crime.

"We do not understand why just this man was hit. We are working on interviewing friends and relatives," he said.

Swedish police were treating the incident as a homicide, and were working to trace the man's last movements.

Police were also inspecting CCTV footage and carrying out doorknocks in the area, and would interview the man's friends and acquaintances. Forensic technicians and a police dog are examining the area where the man was found.

The Gothenburg Post reports the man had been living in Sweden since last European summer. AAP reported that the man had a Swedish girlfriend.

At 10pm local time, the police had not arrested anyone over the incident, and they had not released details of a possible motive.

"Right now the background to the crime is very unclear," Annika Johansson from the investigation unit told the Gothenburg Post.

The man was found on Odinsplatsen, which is close to Gothenburg's central train station and a popular tourist strip, with several hotels and restaurants. Police have cordoned off the area.

The Australian government is providing consular assistance to his family.

"At this stage there is an investigation underway and so we won't be going into any specific details. Likewise, the family are being informed," Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters in Perth.

"But I can confirm that the Australian government is providing consular assistance. I'm not in a position to give any more details at this stage because the family is still being informed."

with AAP

This story Australian man killed in Sweden first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.