WIMMERA Container Line has failed to meet its target of processing 10,000 containers in its first year of operation at the Wimmera Intermodal Freight Terminal.
The freight company began operations at the $17.5-million terminal at Dooen on September 12 last year.
Wimmera Container Line and Horsham Rural City Council predicted that 'significantly more' than 10,000 containers would be moved in the first year.
While Wimmera Container Line would not reveal how many containers had been processed at the terminal, it confirmed that it was below the target.
It said Qube's operations out of Horsham's Mill Street terminal had affected its throughput.
Qube began operating at the Mill Street site in November, despite community and council expectations that the terminal would be decommissioned.
Negotiations between the two freight companies for shared use of the Dooen terminal broke down last month.
Horsham Rural City Council planning and economic director Tony Bawden said seasonal impacts had also taken its toll on the Dooen terminal's throughput.
"A lot of last year's harvest was moved via pre-committed bulk transports, which impacted on container freight in the industry," he said.
"There is still a significant amount going out of the area by road transport.
"The current season for the 2013 harvest is looking very strong so things could turn around quite dramatically."
Mr Bawden said despite its low throughput, the Dooen terminal was working well.
"The throughput volume has absolutely nothing to do with the freight terminal and we have been pleased to hear that the terminal is functioning very well in terms of handling movement of containers," he said.
"We are aware that Wimmera Container Line is involved in negotiations with companies in terms of significantly increasing its throughput volumes.
"The capacity of the terminal is 22,000 containers, which allows for a significant growth factor."