Horsham Saints claims 73-72 victory over Minyip-Murtoa

Horsham Saints 73 d Minyip-Murtoa 72

LES Butler’s seven goals helped Horsham Saints to a thrilling one-point win over Minyip-Murtoa at Minyip Recreation Reserve on Saturday.

Butler kicked seven of his side’s 10 goals in a best-on-ground performance as the Saints won 10.13 (73) to 10.12 (72).

The win keeps the visitors in the top five, closing the gap on the fourth-placed Burras.

Saints coach Shayne Breuer said it was an important result.

“It really could have gone either way,” he said.

“They kicked a couple of points to get it back even and then we kicked a point to get in front, but it was sort of a goal-for-goal last quarter.”

Breuer said it was a full team performance.

“Our intensity was good and it was a real four-quarter effort, which we haven’t had for a few weeks,” he said.

“We were happy with everyone – they gave the effort for the full game, which was pleasing.”

Daniel Rees made a successful return from injury, named among the Saints’ best alongside ruckman Michael Rowe, defender Garry Hallam and midfielders Sam Clyne and Nathan Clough.

The loss was the Burras’ second by less than a kick this season.

Burras coach Scott Arnold said he was extremely disappointed.

“It was close all through that last quarter and we had our chances to win but didn’t,” he said.

“We started well – I think we were about four goals ahead in the second quarter – and our blokes probably got ahead of themselves and stopped.”

Arnold said centre-half-forward Chris Delahunty was superb for his side, as was Justin Garth in defence and through the midfield.

Clinton Midgley kicked four goals for the host, while Brayden Ison chipped in with three.

Arnold said Midgley was one of two Burras to suffer head injuries – Darcy Cameron did not play in the second half following a head knock.


Discuss "Horsham Saints claims 73-72 victory over Minyip-Murtoa"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.