Horsham man jailed for stalking

A JAILED Horsham man who threatened to 'cut up' his former partner will be eligible for parole in three months.

Ashley Paul Taylor, 25, pleaded guilty in Horsham Magistrate's Court on Wednesday to 33 charges.

His offences included failure to answer bail, stalking, criminal damage, several counts of having used a carriage service to menace and 24 counts of having contravened a family violence intervention order.

Magistrate Richard Pithouse jailed Taylor for 18 months, with a six-month non-parole period, less 86 days already served.

He said Taylor would be eligible for parole in 94 days.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Matthew Haughton told the court that Taylor visited a Horsham house in March last year because of a dispute about a bike.

Taylor verbally abused the residents, who were fearful and locked themselves inside.

He continued to yell at them, then kicked the wall of the house so the house shook. The kick made a large hole near the front door.

Taylor told police he did not do it.

Sen Const Haughton further told the court that Taylor's former partner had been granted two intervention orders against him last year.

Taylor breached the orders by sending the woman about 660 text messages, plus seven to the woman's parents. He also telephoned the woman about a dozen times, leaving her two voicemail messages.

Sen Const Haughton said Taylor's text and voicemail messages were abusive, offensive, menacing, threatening and used obscene language.

Taylor stated in one voicemail message that he would cut the woman up.

His threats continued until June 21 this year.

Stawell police arrested Taylor on three outstanding warrants on June 26.

Taylor told police he had never threatened to kill the woman.

Sen Const Haughton tendered Taylor's criminal history to the court.

Mr Pithouse said Taylor had only been drug-free for 86 days and had 'hit up again straight away' the last time he was released from jail.

He said a real problem was Taylor's threats to kill.

Defence barrister Amanda Hurst said her client had been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder.

She said Taylor's parents supported him in court and Taylor's uncle could give him a job.

Ms Hurst said Taylor could also work with his father at a Dandenong trucking company.

She said Taylor wanted to leave Horsham because he had worn out his welcome.

Mr Pithouse also found Taylor had breached a combined custody and treatment order, so he reimposed the remaining six months by way of a concurrent jail term.

He also found Taylor had breached a suspended sentence, but made no further order because Taylor had already served this concurrently with his combined custody and treatment order.

Mr Pithouse also placed Taylor on an 18-month bond for his Commonwealth offences.

He further ordered Taylor to pay $250 restitution for the property damage.

A Horsham man was jailed for several counts of stalking, breaking an intervention order, criminal damage and having used a carriage service to menace.

A Horsham man was jailed for several counts of stalking, breaking an intervention order, criminal damage and having used a carriage service to menace.


Discuss "Horsham man jailed for stalking"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.