St Arnaud secure two football flags | 2017 North Central Football League grand finals

ST ARNAUD’S under-16 team completed an undefeated North Central league season on Saturday with a 54-point grand final victory against Birchip-Watchem.

The Saints won 14.8 (92) to 6.2 (38) in what was a redemption victory for the group of players who lost their only game of the season a year earlier in the grand final to Charlton.

Both teams looked up and about early as seven goals were kicked in the first quarter. A run of four goals in the middle of the quarter allowed the Saints to edge ahead by seven points at quarter time. Traffic was primarily moving in one direction during the second quarter as the young St Arnaud side showed why it had made it to the grand final without being beaten. Jack Tillig kicked three of his six goals in the quarter as the Bulls struggled to move the ball forward with meaning. By half time the Saints had built a 10.2 (62) to 4.0 (24) lead. From that point on the result was beyond doubt despite Birchip-Watchem winning the third quarter. Saints’ ruckman Nicholas Myers was best on ground.


The Saints also captured the under-13s flag but the club’s supporters had to wait a little longer than expected to find out the result.

St Arnaud were locked on the same score as its Birchip-Watchem opponents when the final siren sounded before winning 5.7 (37) to 4.6 (30) after extra time.

The Saints held a 15-point advantage with a quarter to play in the contest before the Bulls clawed their way back.

Each team had 30 points at the end of regular time before the teams fought it out in two five minute halves of extra time. 


IT WAS a come from behind victory in the senior grand final as Wycheproof-Narraport found a way to overcome Birchip-Watchem and claim its first senior flag since 2010.

The Demons trailed by 13 points at three-quarter-time before rallying in the fourth to win 9.9 (63) to 7.9 (51).


WEDDERBURN won the reserves flag in a big 17.8 (110) to 4.8 (32) win against Wycheproof-Narraport.