Warrack Eagles steadfast against Horsham Demons | Wimmera Netball Association

FULL-COURT defensive pressure allowed the Warrack Eagles to overcome a first-quarter deficit against the Horsham Demons to record a third win of the season on Saturday.

The home side trailed by five goals at quarter time before momentum swung dramatically during the final three quarters as the Warrack Eagles went on to win 47-37.

Warrack Eagles coach Sarah Spicer said her side started strongly before Horsham came back hard.

“We actually got the jump and were 5-1 up in the first quarter before they started to capitalise on our turnovers,” she said. “We were five goals down at quarter time but it did not seem like it had a been that big of a difference.”

The 15-10 scoreline in Horsham’s favour had changed to a two goal Warrack Eagles lead at half time.

Spicer said well coordinated team defence from all seven players allowed her side to turn start controlling the game once it took back the lead during the second quarter.

“We were able to cause quite a few turnovers and it was our turn to capitalise more than Horsham did,” she said.

The two-goal margin grew to four with a quarter to play before the home team managed to break away in the final quarter.

“Horsham are a quality side and you know that they will just keep coming back at you,” Spicer said.

“We take a lot of confidence out of being able to hold them off, I’m so pleased with the win. Jess Kelly had a big job restricting Emma Buwalda’s opportunities and she did it so well to create turnovers in our favour, but it really was a big effort from everyone on court.”

The Ararat Rats maintained their perfect start to the A Grade season with a close-fought 53-49 win against the Southern Mallee Giants.

The Rats side led for much of the contest before some nervous moments in the closing quarter as the lead changed hands multiple times.

Rats coach Donna Spalding said her side had gone into the match with little knowledge about its opponents.

“I was really pleased with the drive Jess Williamson and Kate Bligh gave us before Bligh was injured in the third quarter,” she said.

Minyip-Murtoa proved far too strong in  a 62-22 win against Nhill to also remain unbeaten after four games.

The Burras defensive setup was particularly miserly to allow just six goals in the second half of the contest. Billie Bibby and Maddi Morgan led the way for Minyip-Murtoa while Lauren Tink was solid at wing attack for the Tigers.

The Horsham Saints managed a first win of the season by overcoming Stawell 64-53.

The Saints side broke through for the win by controlling the game from start to finish despite the continued absence of many of its premiership players.

The home side built an early eight-goal in the first quarter and the Warriors struggled to lessen the margin through the final three quarters.