The legal practice of Brown & Proudfoot originates from the establishment of the law practice of Mr Herbert Balfour Cathcart in 1888 (then known as ‘Cathcart’s’).
Within the offices of the firm there is a legal library containing the Victorian Law Reports dating back to 1861.Principal Anita Ward
Located at that time at 77 Wilson Street, Horsham, opposite its present location in Wilson Street, the offices were next to Young Brothers’ Auction Rooms.
There was a small fire in the premises on February 28,1924 reportedly from a spark of a neighbouring chimney; it took five officers and ten men about half an hour to extinguish the blaze.
There was only slight damage to the building and contents, however, the practice moved across the road to number 74 Wilson Street in or about the late 1920s and has remained there since.
It all BEGAN…
1888: Mr Herbert Balfour Cathcart opened the Brown & Proudfoot legal practice, commonly known as ‘Cathcart’s’.
1928: Following the death of Mr Cathcart, Mr Stanley Clutterbuck continued in the office after having completed a clerkship with Cathcart and Mr B C Ballard joined the practice as solicitor and barrister.
1929: The practice was sold to Mr Stewart Fiddes Brown (‘Brown’).
1934: Mr William Norris Muntz (‘Norrie) joined the practice with S F Brown. Norrie practised out of his Dimboola offices. That partnership lasted about five years and then dissolved.
1937: Young lawyer, Mr Alexander Proudfoot joined the practice of S F Brown and became a partner in 1946 after war service; the practice then became known as Brown & Proudfoot.
1966: Mr Andrew Wyatt joined the firm.
1973: After the sudden death of Mr Proudfoot at the office, Mr Jim Cudmore and Mr John Stewart Brack joined the firm.
Fast forward to 1983 and Andrew Wyatt, John Stewart Brack and Edmund Jepson McCabe (“Ted”) took over the Dimboola practice following Bill’s retirement as a partner in 1983 with Bill then becoming an employee solicitor until 2013 when illness precluded him from continuing to work at the practice.
The Dimboola office will close its doors on Friday December 14, 2018. All client files, deeds and documents will be available at the Horsham office, with visits continuing at the local hospital and nursing home when asked.
Andrew, John and Ted had a long and close relationship of over 35 years working together; in that time there were a number of employee solicitors who came and went – Miss Carmel Prowse from 1979 to 1990, Mr Ken Chenery from 1984 to 1986, Mr Ian Bruce from 1986 to 1992, Mr Phillip Babic from 1992 to 2010, Miss Yvonne Derbyshire for five years from 2008 and Miss Lucy Tribe from 2011 to 2012. Conveyancing clerk Mrs Katrina Liston (formerly Clyne) started at the firm in 1998 and she completed her undergraduate degree and post graduate studies becoming a lawyer at the firm in 2011. Mrs Anita Ward was employed as an associate solicitor at the firm in 2011.
Andrew retired in 2014, then John and Ted sold the business to Mrs Anita Ward in August 2017; this was a watershed for the practice with Anita being the first female owner.
Mr Nicholas Panayotis Tsekinis from Adelaide joined the firm as a practising solicitor in early 2018.