A MAGISTRATE has told a Warracknabeal man he must change his behaviour or he can expect further incarceration.
Trevor Holland, 36, appeared at Horsham Magistrates' Court on Wednesday and pleaded guilty to multiple charges, including assault and breaching a family violence safety order involving a western Victorian woman.
Mr Holland received a total of four months jail, having already served a pre-sentence term of 44 days.
Magistrate Noreen Toohey said she was hesitant to release Mr Holland back into the public.
"If he continues this way, he's just going to keep going back to prison for longer periods of time. The victim is frightened of him and he has shown little insight into the affects of his behaviour," she said.
The court heard the assault occurred on the evening of January 4.
There was a family violence safety order with a no contact clause between Mr Holland and the western Victorian woman at the time of the incident.
At 9pm, the victim and a friend entered a Warracknabeal hotel when they saw Mr Holland inside the premises. The pair left and went to another hotel.
When the pair left the second premises later in the evening, they were walking down Scott Street, Warracknabeal when Mr Holland appeared on the footpath.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Kass Myers said the pair walked past Mr Holland and paid no attention to him.
"The accused then started to throw plastic traffic cones at the pair, called the victim a "s***" and demanded to know were their child was," Leading Senior Constable Kass Myers said.
"He then pinned the victim against a wall, got up in her face and aggressively yelled at her. The victim entered a car that was picking her and her friend up, but the accused forced the car door open.
"The victim got out of the car and started running down the street. The accused chased her, calling her a "c***" and "s***". The victim got out her mobile phone and started to record what was happening. A male passer-by intervened."
Mr Holland attended Warracknabeal Police Station and was interviewed. He told police the victim had "baited" him.
The court heard Mr Holland had a long list of priors, which included assaulting emergency workers, breaching bail, cannabis possession, drink driving, and recklessly causing damage. The court also heard he had prior family violence offences.
Ms Toohey said Mr Holland had already received multiple opportunities for rehabilitation.
"He has been been released on Community Corrections Orders in the past and has re-offended, and served jail time," she said.
"Why would I, yet again, get him to undertake a Men's Behaviour Change program and CCO when he hasn't done anything to change his behaviour. He is now back in court again and I'm not sure what it is going to take to get the message through."
Ms Toohey sentenced Mr Holland to a total of four months jail, due to the "seriousness of the offending and (his) prior convictions".
"It is in the public's interest," she said.
The family violence safety order between Mr Holland and the victim was extended by 10 years.
- If you or someone who know has experienced sexual, domestic or family violence, contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.