The Country Fire Authority has renewed its calls to Wimmera residents to clean out their chimneys ahead of winter, after extinguishing a fire in Drung on Tuesday night.
A spokeswoman said five units rushed to a home on Baker Street just after 5pm, needing just 10 minutes to control the small blaze and extinguishing it entirely at 5.30pm.
She said there was no word on the amount of damage the property sustained, but suspected it was minimal.
"The crews have given the owners a reminder of the need to clean out their flu," the spokeswoman said.
Official advice from the CFA suggests to reduce the risk of fire starting from a fireplace or solid wood heater people should:
- Use a torch to check for creosote build-up or obstructions
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned annually
- Only burn dry, clean wood
- Extinguish open fires before leaving home or going to sleep
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox twice weekly from the Wimmera Mail-Times. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Wimmera, sign up below.