THE Horsham Football Netball Club has appealed the six week suspension handed down to a 27-year-old Minyip-Murtoa reserves player regarding an on-field incident on June 1.
The Burras player was suspended by an independent tribunal after pleading guilty to "carelessly making contact to the head" of a 22-year-old Horsham opponent in round six of the Wimmera Football League.
Horsham believe the six-week ban to be too lenient. The Horsham player's jaw was broken in three places in the incident.
AFL Wimmera-Mallee's Stephen McQueen confirmed the necessary paperwork had been filed and accepted on Wednesday morning, and the case would now be heard by the AFL Victoria Country Appeal Board.
According to section 8.9 of the AFL Victoria Country Handbook, the board will deal with the appeal as a totally new hearing. The board can also listen to and refer to the initial tribunal hearing.
In accordance with section 8.4, in order to have the case heard by the appeal's board, the appealing club was required to provide a non-refundable payment of $2500.
A payment of a further $3000 was also required. This sum would be refunded if the AFL Victoria Country Appeal Board upholds the appeal.
Should the appeal be dismissed and the board deem the appeal did not have sufficient merit, AFL Victoria Country can determine that all or part of the $3000 not be refunded. McQueen confirmed the payment had been received.
McQueen said the appeal took the case out of AFL Wimmera-Mallee's hands and he would not provide further comment on the case until the appeal had been heard.
McQueen said a time for the appeal was yet to be confirmed.
Section 8.7.2 of the AFL Victoria Country Handbook states AFL Victoria will "endevour to hear and determine an appeal ... before the appellant's club is next scheduled to compete, irrespective of whether the appeal is heard at short notice."
Should the hearing not be held before Minyip-Murtoa's next match, regulations state the suspension will stand until the appeal is heard.
Ararat Crime Investigation Unit Detective Gjalt Erkelens said police investigation into the incident was ongoing, and no charges had been laid.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox twice weekly from the Wimmera Mail-Times. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Wimmera, sign up below.