A planned burn in Little Desert National Park has been postponed until Friday due to increased winds, Forest Fire Management Victoria said on Thursday.
Residents and motorists in West Wimmera may encounter smoke and low visibility on roads during the burn.
Forest Fire Management Victoria Wimmera District Manager Wimmera Glenn Rudolph said a 300 hectare fuel reduction burn will take place in the central block north break west.
He said the objective of the burn was to provide bushfire protection by reducing overall fuel hazard and bushfire hazard in the landscape and FFMV said it should be completed between the hours of noon and 6pm on Friday, weather and fuel moisture conditions permitting.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms that may be due to smoke exposure, the Department of Health and Human Services advises that you should seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024
- Close windows and doors to prevent smoke from entering
- Road travel may be hazardous due to low visibility associated with smoke
Signs may be in place to slow traffic. Obey all traffic signs and instructions from fire agency crews near the burn
- For travel times and roadworks check http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au
- Be aware of planned burns happening in your local area and stay clear of areas where burns are taking place or areas that have recently been burnt
Access to forest/park recreation sites
- Access to walking tracks, car parks, camping grounds and picnic sites in areas close to or in burn areas may be restricted
- For parks closures, please refer to Parks Victoria on 13 1963 or visit http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/
Stay informed about Planned Burning
- Visit ffm.vic.gov.au/plannedburn
- Call the VicEmergency Hotline on freecall 1800 226 226
- Download the Vic Emergency app
- Sign up for automated notifications about planned burns near you via ffm.vic.gov.au/pbns
Callers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment can contact via the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677.