The Central Wimmera Tennis Association has abandoned the 2019-2020 season due to the coronavirus.
CWTA president Jeremy Quast said the health of the wider community was paramount.
"There is more to life than just tennis," he said.
"People's lives are at risk.
"We don't know the extent of the virus. Our measures are put in place to stop the virus spreading within the community."
The association had planned to forge on with the final two weeks of finals earlier in the week.
Tennis Australia advised regional leagues on Saturday to use their own discretion in continuing.
Mr Quast said the decision to abandon the season was in line with rapidly changing community standards. The Wimmera's cricket, football and netball seasons have all been altered due to the coronavirus.
"It's been hard on us to make a crucial call," he said.
"Football, netball, cricket, Parkrun, Playgroup Victoria have all made a similar decision.
"But we're not just following the trend, we have followed the health guidelines and recommendations."
Mr Quast said the association had to take specific health risks into consideration.
"In A Grade, there are some 60-year-olds that would be playing in competition on the weekend," he said.
"We don't know if certain players have compromised immunities, or have type two diabetes.
"We have to take all of that into consideration."
Mr Quast said a premier of each competition was likely to be announced, despite not playing the preliminary and grand finals.
Last week, in each of the three divisions, the top placed side played the second place side for a spot in the grand final.
"There will be a result, whether that is based off last weekend's results or ladder positions, we'll discuss that," he said.
More to come.
Have your say with a letter to the editor.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox twice weekly from the Wimmera Mail-Times. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Wimmera, sign up below.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.