Mandatory vaccinations for aged care workers may be on the horizon after the federal government brought the proposal to Friday's national cabinet meeting.
The news comes as a vaccine blitz rolls out across the industry.
Lutheran Church of Australia district administrator Stephen Mildred said Horsham's Sunnyside Retirement Village could arrange mandatory vaccinations if need be.
"The infrastructure at Horsham will be adequate to cope if it becomes mandatory for Aged Care staff to be vaccinated," Mr Mildred said.
"That is not a big issue in Horsham but it is in some other parts of the country."
Mr Mildred said 89 per cent of Sunnyside's aged care residents had been given both doses of the Pfizer vaccine, with the other 11 per cent declining to be vaccinated.
Sunnyside Retirement Village could not provide the number of aged care workers vaccinated.
"Fortunately some of our workers have been vaccinated through local GPs and some with leftovers from the residents," Mr Mildred said.
"You wouldn't want all your staff vaccinated at the same time because a portion is going to get side effects.
"You don't want a large chunk of the workforce having side effects and staying home, not leaving enough to look after the residents."
A mandatory vaccine for aged care workers would need to be enacted by public health orders by state and territory governments, in the same way, the requirement for the influenza vaccine was made mandatory.
West Australia will be the first state to introduce mandatory vaccines for aged care workers, with premier Mark McGowan announcing the mandate after Friday's national cabinet meeting.
Acting on Department of Health and Human Services advice, Wimmera Health Care Group could not provide the exact number of aged care staff and residents who had been vaccinated.
Wimmera Health Care Group's western regional vaccine sub-hub coordinator Genevieve Lilley said the group had been vaccinating its staff for the past 10 weeks and will host a drop-in clinic to finish off vaccinating the workforce.
"There are still a few out there who aren't vaccinated, so we are doing a Q and A seminar for those workers on Wednesday," Ms Lilley said.
"Because we are very busy with all our second doses due, we wanted to give health care workers the last chance to drop in and get their vaccine done if they are not done on Wednesday."
Despite being unable to provide an exact number on how many aged care residents were vaccinated, Ms Lilley said the rollout was continuing as hoped across the health care group.
"I think we have done pretty well out here. I gather that all of our services have been visited. Every resident here has been offered," Ms Lilley said.
"We are almost 100 per cent in Horsham and we've finished off the last few in Dimboola. Wimmera Health Care Group is doing pretty well and I think the others in our catchment are doing good as well."
She also predicted the vaccine to become available to the general public by mid-June but said most health services focused on vaccinating staff and securing doses.
"We do expect to start seeing the general public in mid-June, so it is only a few weeks away. At the moment we just can't take bookings and we can't answer the phone because we are busy with the vaccines," Ms Lilley said.
"We want and encourage everyone to get vaccinated as soon as possible."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: