Tri-Horsham enjoys late rush of entries


EVERYTHING is set for tomorrow's annual Horsham Triathlon.

Tri-Horsham committee member Campbell Pallot said entries had been strong for the event.

"We've got 110 entries so far, and we always have a late rush," he said.

"We are still encouraging people to enter, even on the day."

Mr Pallot said organisers were pleased with the response, especially given they opted to move the event from its typical Australia Day weekend running slot.

Tomorrow's event will feature short and long course triathlons for adults, as well as duathlons and mini-triathlons for junior competitors.

The event is open to individual competitors or teams.

Former Horsham resident Shane Miller is returning to take part in the event for the first time.

Miller, now of Kew, will ride the cycling leg as part of a team with his sister and one of her work-mates.

"It's my first time back for the event," he said.

"I couldn't make it when it was on Australia Day because of other events on, but given the change of date I was able to make it.

"It's great to come back here and spend some time with family as well."

Miller said he was looking forward to tomorrow's event.

"The weather looks fantastic, I'm not too sure about the locusts though," he said.

Tri-Horsham committee member Mark Pumpa said the roundabout near the Horsham Aquatic Centre in Firebrace Street would be blocked by police for the duration of the event.

He said police would also monitor O'Callaghan Parade and Barnes Boulevard, but both roads would remain open.

"We just ask drivers to take caution," he said.

Mr Pumpa said competitors would only use the roads for a short period of time, and expected roads to be clear by about 6.15pm tomorrow.

Sergeant Gavin Frew of Horsham police also warned those using the roads to be careful.

"If road users can, they should stay clear or be really careful," he said.

For reports and results of Saturday's triathlon, see Monday's edition of the Mail-Times.