Laharum, Rup-Minyip and Homers win in round six | A Grade Horsham Cricket Association 2017-18

LAHARUM have jumped above Jung Tigers on the A Grade Horsham Cricket Association ladder after an upset win while Rup-Minyip and Homers also registered round six wins.

Laharum won the toss and sent the Tigers in to bat in the first game at Horsham City Oval this season.

After a positive 30-run opening partnership was broken by two quick Jacobus van Zyl wickets, Jung found it difficult to build momentum and partnerships throughout their overs.

After struggling to 7-99 the Steve Leith, 41, helped lift the side to 8-149 after 45 overs. 

Captain Tyler Neville said Sam Leith and Brett Jensz each batted well before finding ways to get out.

“Steve batted really well at the end to give us at least something to bowl at,” he said. 

“Our bowlers did a good job again but you really need 180 at City Oval to have a chance.

“We got a couple of early wickets but then Ben Peucker does what he’s known to do and took the game away from us really quickly.”

Peucker came in when Laharum was 2-10 and hit 59 runs in a 70-run partnership before he was dismissed. Jung continued to take frequent wickets but Damien Bunworth, 35, had enough support to get the side over the line with two wickets to spare and more than six overs remaining.

Runs flowed freely in a game that went down to the wire at Rupanyup but the home team eventually overcame Blackheath-Dimboola.

Harry Young batted through Blackheath-Dimboola’s innings to score 113 with good support coming from Lachie Watts, 55, and a hard-hitting Tom Magee, 35, as the side reached 2-232.

Rup-Minyip captain Travis Hair said Young and Watts barely offered a chance in their innings.

“I’ve played a bit with Harry and I think that is the best I’ve seen him bat,” he said. 

With a long tail it was up to Rup-Minyip’s top order to get the job done.

Ryan Metelmann departed cheaply but Victor Lothian played a steady hand while Dan Schaper, 47, attacked.

When Lothian was dismissed for 34 the score was 2-79 as Hair strode to the crease.

“Dan and I felt comfortable at the crease but we knew we had to bat the 45 overs because of our tail,” he said.

Hair was unbeaten on 102 when his side passed the target with six wickets in hand and two overs remaining.

It went all the way to the final over of the match between Horsham Saints and Homers at Sunnyside.

The Saints won the toss and batted first but found scoring difficult for long patches of the innings.

Justtin Combe’s 66 and Matt Combe’s 54 helped the side reach 4-165 off its 45 overs.

Sandy Hodge proved a thorn in the side of the Saints as he anchored the Homers reply.

His unbeaten 49 allowed other batsmen to come and go while taking a more aggressive approach.

Eventually it was co-captain Craig Britten’s 44 runs which saw the side over the line with five wickets to spare in the 44th over.