Wimmera league | Southern Mallee Giants defeated Minyip-Murtoa

MONITOR: Jackson Fisher could miss the Horsham Demons match in round 12. Picture: SAMANTHA CAMARRI
MONITOR: Jackson Fisher could miss the Horsham Demons match in round 12. Picture: SAMANTHA CAMARRI

A FAST start and a strong four-quarter performance ensured the Southern Mallee Giants came away with the four points against Minyip-Murtoa on Saturday.

Nine scoring shots to one in the opening quarter of the match set the game up for the Giants as the Burras were forced to play from behind all day before eventually losing 12.10 (82) to 6.5 (41).

Southern Mallee coach Coleman Schache said the final scoreboard did not reflect our hard his side had to work for the win.

“Minyip-Murtoa kept coming at us hard and it was another really contested game,” he said. “Things just happened to fall our way on Saturday – it was a good four-quarter effort.”

The Giants were able to control much of the game throughout the opening quarter with the aid of a strong breeze.

The side peppered the goals to establish a 23-point lead by quarter-time and could have been even further in front had it been more accurate in front of goals.

It was difficult to score in the second quarter of the match. Minyip-Murtoa registered only a single behind while the Giants single goal was enough for the side to extend its lead.

“I think our effort and work rate allowed us to establish that lead and get on top because everyone was contributing,” Scache said. 

The home team was finally able to hit the scoreboard with more regularity in the third quarter as Pat Purcell started to create more opportunities for the Burras through the midfield. 

Rory Shannon strong game at full back for the Giants helped ensure the Burras could never eat away at the lead for prolonged periods while Haydn Drew put in an outstanding performance.

The Burras managed three goals during the quarter but were again outplayed by the Giants side which managed four of its own in order to extend its lead to 37-points at the final break.

“It was pleasing that we were able to respond whenever Minyip-Murtoa was able to peg one or two goals back,” Schache said.

Despite being able to create more scoring shots than the Giants in the final quarter of the game the Burras had fallen even further behind by the final siren.

A hamstring injury to Jackson Fisher will be monitored during the week prior to the Giants’ encounter against the Horsham Demons in round 12.

Minyip-Murtoa were hit hard by injuries during the match and were left undermanned for much of the second half.

John Delahunty appeared to have sustained a serious hand injury while Warrick Stone did not take part in the second half.

Kieran Delahunty also appeared sore at different stages. All three will be assessed during the week.