A MOCKINYA farmer has suffered burns to his face after a cigarette butt caused a fire on his property.
Country Fire Authority district 17 duty officer Peter Lucas said crews were called to the Henty Highway property at 12.31pm on Tuesday.
He said a discarded cigarette butt outside the shed caused the fire.
"It burnt about five acres of grass and stopped at the highway," he said.
Mr Lucas said the man, 40, had minor burns to his face and would be transported to hospital as a precaution.
"He was in good spirits, chatting to the fire crews and paramedics," he said.
An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said a helicopter was still at the scene, but paramedics were planning to take the man to The Alfred hospital in Melbourne.
She said the man had facial burns and was in a stable condition.
Mr Lucas said five fire trucks attended the blaze and the fire was under control quickly.
He said the fire was a timely reminder for everyone that while summer was over, fires could spread quickly.
"It is terribly dry out there - all it took was a cigarette butt," he said.
"It is important that anyone doing maintenance on their property, doing works or mowing, if a fire starts, it will just go."
Mr Lucas said the fire also damaged a shed, which was about 10 metres by five metres.
"It was a normal farm shed, with garden equipment and personal belongings, so I can't put a price on the damage," he said.