The state government has severely restricted access to firearms and ammunition after sales spiked amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Police minister Lisa Neville announced on Tuesday morning the temporary ban on the sale of firearms and ammunition to recreational or sport shooters.
The ban came into immediate effect, bringing Victoria in line with similar restrictions in place in Queensland and Western Australia.
Those with "occupational needs" to firearms - such as farmers, rural landholders and security guards - will still be allowed to apply for permits and purchase guns and ammunition.
In other news today:
Ms Neville said the number of applications to access firearms doubled last week to 2200.
Victoria Police deputy commissioner Shane Patton believed it was "too much of a risk to allow that to continue"
"We're really trying to make it safe for the public, we're stopping the unnecessary storage of firearms and ammunition, and there was no legitimate need for this attempted stockpiling," he said.
Horsham's J&A Shooting Supplies remains open to serve those with a genuine need to access firearms and ammunition for occupational requirements. Those attempting to buy products must have a current primary producers licence.
Ms Neville acknowledged licensed firearms dealers and owners exercised a high degree of care, but said a rise in the number of applications to access firearms and ammunition meant there was an increased risk they would not be stored safely.
"We're responding to an increase in demand for firearms and ammunition across the country by doing what we can to protect licensed firearm owners and dealers as well as the broader community."
Natimuk and District Field and Game cancelled all future shoots last week to help curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Want to share your opinion? Send a letter to the editor.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.