South Australian premier Steven Marshall has given his strongest indication yet Wimmera residents near the border will not always be subject to the same travel restrictions to his state as those in COVID-19 hotspots of Victoria.
At a press conference on Wednesday morning, Mr Marshall said the direction South Australia was heading was "away from locking up the entire nation... and down to localised hotspot management and orientation.
- 73 new cases in Victoria on July 1, lockdowns in 10 Melbourne postcodes
- Kaniva hairdresser backs calls for a travel bubble
"We need to see Victoria get on top of those hotspots, but I think that is the way we will be going," he said.
"The transition committee meets again this Friday and then twice per week we will be looking at other jurisdictions.
"They could be looking at other areas of Victoria, for example the western end... is a possibility. Not at the moment, but we keep looking at that data. We keep trying to understand new infections (and where they are coming from)."
Mr Marshall also said 260 police officers had been sent to the Victorian border to enforce the ban on all non-essential travellers entering the state.
All travellers must register online to enter South Australia as of today. However, those that already have an essential traveller status under the cross border community member category can provide the police officer with their existing approval notice without needing to register.
"We have been messaging for quite some time there is a new arrangement as of today," Mr Marshall said.
"It doesn't mean you can't go to the border and fill out the application there, but if you fill it out in advance of arriving it will smooth out that process to get into South Australia.
"We are not saying if you fill out the forms you will get automatic entry into South Australia, it is essential workers only and there are some exceptions made on compassionate grounds."