This Monday - August 31 - is International Overdose Awareness Day.
The global event aims to raise awareness of overdose and reduce the stigma of a drug-related death.
Former resident Sharon (last name withheld) is lucky enough to survive an accidental drug overdose.
She wants to share her story to make sure no one repeats the same mistake.
"Several months ago I died," she said bluntly.
The now-Portland resident woke up one quiet autumn morning and felt off.
Knowing she had a two-hour car ride to Ararat before her, she took a concoction of over-the-counter medications with her prescribed medicine.
"[That morning] I felt irritable, thoughtless and totally foolish," she said.
"I took three antihistamines and my antidepressants, thinking I'd have a good snooze in the car and sleep off my mood.
"On arriving, my mom had said to my sister 'Sharon's been asleep the whole trip'."
That is when Lindell (last name withheld) sprang into action.
"My sister took one look at me and realized I was unconscious; no pulse, no heartbeat, no breathing and totally blue," she said.
"My amazing sister dragged me from the car and commenced CPR for a solid 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived.
"The ambulance officers took over and took me to the Ballarat Base Hospital.
"Lindell saved my life. Yes, in doing so, she cracked my ribs, but she saved my life."
Sharon spent a considerable amount of time in the hospital, to the point where days and weeks were a blur.
She said her GP believes her accidental drug overdose was due to her size and the almost deadly mix of antihistamines and antidepressants.
"I took an antidepressant, which I take at nighttime, but because I was pretty cranky and irritable, I took my antidepressant in the morning," she said.
"[I was] Just thinking that they might make me a little bit calmer.
"I certainly shouldn't have taken three antihistamines.
My amazing sister dragged me from the car and commenced CPR for a solid 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived.
"Basically they (the doctors) came to the conclusion that I suffer every now and again from heart failure, which I didn't know."
Sharon said the episode had brought her close to her sister.
"She went above and beyond - she is super human," she said.
"There's just no words that can express how much I love my sister.
"I hope my story can expresses how easy it is to overdose, even when it's from over the counter, that can kill you."
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Wimmera Mail-Times, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling the Wimmera's story. We appreciate your support of local journalism.
Do you have something to say on this issue? Send a Letter to the Editor to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lastly, did you know you can receive updates straight to your inbox? To make sure you're up-to-date with news from across the region, sign up below.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.