Update: Details from the state government
"From midnight tonight, this requirement will be made even stronger, with businesses who consciously fail to check their customers are not from metropolitan Melbourne facing fines of up to $9,913.
This check could be achieved by asking customers to show their drivers' license or Keypass ID.
Regional businesses who do the right thing but are misled by someone intent on breaking the rules will not be fined under the changes. Instead, individuals found deliberately ignoring the restrictions will risk a fine of $1,652. Melbournians who are found in regional Victoria without a valid reason face fines of up to $4,957."
Update 11am: Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has reiterated to Melburnians restrictions on Melbourne apply to them when they travel to regional Victoria.
"From 11.59pm October 11 (tonight) business in regional Victoria will be required to take all reasonable steps to determine when a person is from," he said.
"If the customer cannot satisfy the shop owner, the default position will be that the Melbourne rules apply to them. If there is a need for clarity to businesses in regional Victoria, we will provide that."
There is a fine of nearly $10,000 for businesses not complying. Mr Andrews said he was confident the government would not need to issue any fines.
He said regional Victorian businesses had done a good job in opening up in a COVID safe way.
Melburnians face fines of nearly $5000 if caught travelling to regional Victoria without a valid reason.
Mr Andrews said just shy of 100,000 Victorians have been tested for coronavirus in the past week.
He thanked those that had been. "We have got to keep those numbers up. We have got to keep coming forward as soon as we have any symptoms whatsoever," he said.
Mr Andrews announced a person deemed close contact of a known coronavirus case must get tested on day 11 of their own quarantine period.
He said while this was not mandatory if people choose not to to this, their quarantine will be extended by a further 10 days.
"This is an abundance of caution to ensure we've got the most complete data," he said.
Mr Andrews said he had also extended the state of emergency and the state of disaster in Victoria until November 8, to allow the government to have the legal framework in place to make rules to drive down infection numbers.
"There will be steps that will be able to be taken next Sunday, they will not be as big as they hoped but they will be more significant," he said.
9am: The Department of Health and Human Services has recorded 12 new cases of coronavirus and one new death from the condition in Victoria in the past 24 hours.
The rolling 14-day average for regional Victoria remains at 0.4 cases, with all five active cases of coronavirus outside of Melbourne in the Mitchell Shire, which adjoins the metropolitan area to the north.
More to come.
- Tidy Towns 2020: Hastings wins, Wimmera groups take out three other categories
- Government to expand wastewater testing for coronavirus to Horsham
- Trailer with $35,000 worth of fencing stolen from Glenorchy
- Regional Victorians return to Mount Arapiles as travel bans lift
- Horsham residents in Melbourne experience lockdown fatigue
- Parks Victoria weighs up more protections at Mount Arapiles
- Horsham student co-winner of national podcast competition