A WALLALOO Park woolshed due to host 400 people for a ram sale next month has been destroyed by a fire.
The 170-year-old shed was reduced to a blackened crisp after an electrical fault from the motor of a refrigerator sparked the blaze on Monday last week.
Country Fire Authority District 16 operations manager Neville Collins said the site had “significant historical value” and had been functioning as part of a sheep stud farm.
“There were rams in the area which had to be removed while the fire was burning,” he said. “Sadly the site could not be saved and it burned to the ground.”
The property owners were in Hamilton setting up a sheep exhibit when the incident occurred.
“The shed was an older construction and had stud shearing equipment inside,” Mr Collins said.
“Lucky no one was hurt, but sadly the owners’ trip to Hamilton was cut short and they had to rush home because of what has happened.”
Mr Collins warned other property owners about how easily these disasters could happen.
“People must be mindful of any machinery and appliances, and in this case, refrigerators,” he said.
“Even though the refrigerator was only a couple of years old, fires can still start and electrical faults can still occur.”
Marnoo, Wallaloo East and Rupanyup brigades were called to the blaze at 10.20am and left the site at 4.30pm.
Specialist fire investigators also attended.