VICTORIA has recorded no new cases for a 21st consecutive day after locking down its border with South Australia.
The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed there were no new cases or deaths reported on Friday morning.
But further work was being done on a possible case, the department said on social media.
"There is a possible case reported that is under investigation; the initial test result is a weak [positive]," DHHS said.
"Further testing today, [including] review by an expert panel. The case may be a false [positive] or historic infection. Precautionary public health actions in place as investigations continue."
More than 18,000 Victorians got tested yesterday. There were two active cases remaining.
As announced on Thursday, viral fragments of the virus were found in Victorian sewage testing along freight routes this week.
It prompted premier Daniel Andrews to lock down the SA border.
None of the fragments revealed by authorities have been found in central Victoria, so far. They were found in Portland and Benalla, where residents were urged to get tested.
The hard border will stay in place until a permit system begins over the weekend.
South Australia is now several days into a snap lockdown authorities hope will be a "circuit breaker".
Under the hard border, only freight drivers and those with medical or emergency reasons, as well as people authorised by law, such as child protection officers, will be able to cross the border.
More than 300 police will patrol the Victorian side of the South Australian border, from Mildura down to Portland.
It's the first time Victoria has shut its border to any state during the pandemic.
- With AAP
Did you know you can receive updates straight to your inbox? To make sure you're up-to-date with news from across the region, sign up below.